Sunday 7 April 2013

Why "Catherine" Is In My Top Five Current Gen Games

Catherine Box Arts
The game play it's self is a simple block based puzzler, now that's not saying puzzle games can't be fun, just look at Portal and Quantum Conundrum, I just think it might have put people off from playing it. What really makes Catherine stick out to me is the story.

OK, so it's nothing ground breaking, what it basically comes down to is our Protagonist, Vincent Brooks, wants his life to stay the way it is, he's content with where he and his girlfriend, Katherine, are in their relationship, he doesn't want to take the next step and Katherine says she doesn't mind that, but then, like every other Atlus game, A death under mysterious circumstances leads to our story's beginning.

like I said, nothing amazing, but the best stories are the ones that sound simple on paper.

so I'll admit, the anime style might have charmed me from the beginning, I'm not gonna lie, but I'm glad it did because it's one of the few games I'm aware of that does the whole "moral" system really well, because it's not about choosing to blow up megaton or punch a reporter in the face, it's the white lies everyone of us tell to spare feeling or disperse suspicion, the gray areas of morality, and yes for the sake of having the data to allow for the different ending the game does attribute "good" and "bad" to each choice but it never feels like that, my first time through the game I was a honest about my answers and what I would do as I could be and I felt justified for it, the second time I decided to be the biggest dick I could be and found myself feeling bad about it.

the puzzle sections themselves are actually quite taxing on the mind, and it's not helped as you're on a time limit the whole time, it creates a great sense of panic which is what the puzzle sections are trying to accomplish, so good job game.

I've not really gone into spoilers because I really do want to do a playthrough which I'll start some time this month, but if you can't wait then I implore you to go out and buy the game.

you'll learn alot about whiskey playing it.




No comments:

Post a Comment